The Scent of PappaRich

  • The Scent of PappaRich

    After working some small graphic design jobs with PappaRich they decided to take me on for a large project with a fresh new opening of one of their branches. They wanted 5 large pieces of artwork that showed where PappaRich was on the global map.

    The brief was simple, though a map showing where a franchise is on a map had been done before and to say it had been overdone might be an under statemen;, though, I was keen to try something new and fresh. The brief was to make 5 art pieces that would show on a world scale, where PappaRich had its restaurants. 


    After a few ideas being thrown back and forth, including a 'geographical landscape with soy sauce pots to show the position' to 'native patterned trees' and even 'make it like a dart board', I found a way to combine 'food' and 'globe' with the idea of ‘The Scent of PappaRich’, incorporating the smooth and flowing imagery of ‘wind maps’, but instead of showing where wind moves on a global scale, it was to highlight which parts of the world had the scent of PappaRich.​​​​​​​
  • The images above show the process of concepts that the idea took to arrive to the main idea 'The Scent of PappaRich'. 
  • Throughout, I used imagery of people eating food, using the idea of steam and scents of the food to direct the flow of the scents throughout the imagery, with the general flow going from left to right. I used ‘restaurant’ scenes to cover the larger continents, and smaller close-ups of food in the smaller countries and cities, to maintain a consistent scale. 

     Originally the drawing was to be on a white background with red, but Steven (marketing manager) felt it was important to contrast the image to the white background of the restaurant. With this info, I combined the idea of the colours of Laksa (a classic malaysian curry dish) and put it in the image. If you haven't had one, the colours are always distinctly red, orange and yellow which was intensified with the black background.


    Process:

    Pencil Sketch (A3), Inked (A3), Scanned (600 PPI), Photoshop (Invert colours, add texture)

    Here's the final outcome.